10 November 2005



Some Thoughts After Rereading Martin Amis's Money
It's too long. Perhaps that's an attempt to mirror the bloated excess of the capitalist gimmegimmes, but I'll take my art in the language, not in the symbolic structure.

The metafictional assertion of character Martin Amis into the story is distracting. The character is wise, judicious, sensitive, and many other adjectives normally connected with The Enlightened. Perhaps John Self is author Amis's id and character Amis author Amis's ego, but I was told there'd be no Freudian readings around these cyberparts. Is Amis making sure that no one confuses him with John Self? Is he looking for a device that illustrates his erudition and equanimity? I don't know, but that I'm wondering about it is a distraction from the booze and drugs and sex. That is not a good thing.

John Self is a fun guy to hang out with for 7 hours. He's charming in a babyhueyrogue kinda way, and he takes his abominable social behavior to the Nth degree so you can feel better about your relatively minor crimes. Do not underestimate this service. It is one of art's most necessary functions.

Amis delivers linguistic gems on every other page.

Lorne Guyland is one of the funniest caricatures of The Macho, and I'm guessing Jack Palance either loved him or sued Amis.

It's well worth rereading, but by the time I consider rereading it again, can I possibly have the gargantuan appetite necessary for fully enjoying it? One can only hope.

No comments: