01 December 2005

Big In Iraq



Forgive a guy a little sentiment. 20 years ago the young doctor fell in love at summer sports camp. We snogged, broke out after lights out to explore the Santa Cruz highlands, smoked cigarettes, and played three tennis matches a day. Last Dance was a big affair, and having the best looking girl in state on my arm was a big deal. I remember everything about that summer, and the soundtrack is Alphaville. My camp roommate suggested Forever Young’s title track was an anti-nuclear rant. I don’t remember being that deconstructive then, but there ya have Josh, currently a Navy Seal making it safe for us to nosh funyuns and hot pockets. The record is a hoot. Big in Japan is great, and all the synthetic percussion and horns, now made more ‘genuine’ by modern technology, sound rather warm. The production is tops for the era, so give it a whirl. I’m gonna wax nostalgic only one more time, soon as Pleasure Victim finishes downloading, and I’ll try to do it without pictures of Jamie Gertz in my head.

No comments: