28 March 2007

How’s Utah?

I wasn’t sure this blog could continue to praise Killer’s Kiss without reprisal. I’ve received several emails from our far-flung readership begging us to report on the heterosexual emo underground and the burgeoning dwarf jam band phenomenon, but we table these requests in favor of ink on SF’s fearsome fivesome. KK live shows the past year have been good clean fun but I couldn’t deem them exciting. Of late I was growing complacent, and so I think was the band. Patience will out in live gigs and the reward came Friday night at the lovely Parkside.

Thanks to a fawning cover-plug for the Comets on Fire in this week’s Bay Guardian the P-side was packed with neophytes. Women without tattoos were present, a handful of minorities were spotted (shocking!), and sonny and I did not have the thinnest hair. The newcomers and the veterans then got a treat; KK opened and they played their best SF show to date.

But you already know this, thanks to Neva Chonin’s terrific KK write up in Saturday’s Chronicle. Or was that a PJ Harvey review? I can’t recall because Saturday morning, groggy and angry that there isn’t any good coffee on Clement Street a few facts coalesced; 1) Neva is a ClearChannel whore, 2) Jack in the Box tacos at 2am are a staple and, 3) Chris O is a genuine frontman for the most exciting band in the city.

KK played like the gods were going to take away their gifts if they didn’t go fuck all for the crowd. The key tune Friday was Backslider, which started off with band members playing at their own tempo. This was not planned, and before you could say Robert Fripp they brought it together, but Friday they brought it with aggression and a familiar song became new and exciting. Heads were snapping, toes tapping. The Hard for You cover was delivered as it should be, spitefully, and Hate was outstanding. Clark went a little freaky which is always good, but the O-man was the show and, dare I say in a Bob Costas lisp, raised the bar for Parkside performances. This may have had to do with either O’s brush with Greg Cartwright a few weeks ago or the beer I spilled on his shirt; either way I’m anxious for more shows because I can’t believe that anyone who saw their set Friday will pass up a chance for another go.

I’d like to end with a few kind words for Gris Gris and Comets on Fire but I must be an asshole because I didn’t care for either set. In the spirit of FOX News editorials I will say Monoshock is a better name than either Gris Gris or Comets on Fire and therefore must be a better band.

No comments: