11 May 2007


Having tried and failed to enjoy Trout Mask Replica, loved Safe as Milk, and appreciated the Early Recordings, I've always wanted to dig deeper into the magic of Captain Beefheart. Getting really fucking sick has always been my finest research tool, so the other day I finally got around to watching a two-hour BBC documentary that is a perfect initiation to the barely initiated, walking chronologically as it does through each album with all focus decidedly on the music and leaving the dirty gossip for the biographers. I got so excited at the end that I blew out a glob of greenish brown blob and proceeded to download me the top six record recommendations that I could gather from the film. Ain't quite done with the Townes Van Zandt obsession, but I'm gonna try and have an overlapping one with the good Captain and it's in in in we go. Anybody got a fave to push?

No comments: