12 September 2007


I've been too tired to read past 9:00 lately, so I've been actually sitting on the couch and listening to records. No sports on TV. No magazines. Listening. Here's what's working-


The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band- Vol 1- pretty damn glorious pretty psych-pop from a band I can't believe I haven't lost spit over before. They'll branch out jammy once a side to let the freak flag wave in the swirling winds of the faithful, but the bread is buttered with highly melodic pop gem and then three more. Issues vinyl strikes again.

Brother JT- Third Ear Candy- too early for anything definitive, but after three listens it sounds like he's recording in an isolated water vault, channeling cybernetic dolphins who are very sad. Whether that's a good thing or not remains to be heard- anybody carrying shrooms?

Black Sabbath- Vol. 4- another compulsive vinyl purchase from Issues and I'm steadily gravitating to its gentler groove. I know some folks can't stand it, but I can't get enough of vulnerable Ozzy- "I'm going through chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanges."

The Bags- Rock Starve- still one of the most underrated (unheard?) rock records in what is clearly the ugliest rock cover ever conceived. "What do you want? I want an answer? What do you want? What do you want from me?" Genius.

Tuxedomoon- Desire- found this at that wildly overpriced jazz store on Claremont Ave. for a few bucks, and I've found it oddly comforting background music. I suppose that means something about my sexuality, but I'm too old to figure out what.

The Pontiac Brothers- Doll Hut- my favorite Stones record of the 80's.

The Pretty Things- S. F. Sorrow- I used to own this on cassette before I knew anything about their early greatness, and I loved it. Now, I'm pretty sure it's a masterpiece. Another Issues vinyl gem. 3 for fucking 3.

Roy Wood- Boulders- I hated this the first time I heard it on an Ipod, but here's more fodder for the obvious- vinyl sounds way better (especially at 2 bucks). He once fronted The Move but now he's playing fourteen instruments and making gospel sound like the white man's terrain. Feel it.

Gene Vincent- "Love is a Bird" - so overblown, yet so right.

The Problematics- The Kids All Suck- still the best pure punk record ever, not counting the Saints.

King Louie and His Loose Diamonds- Memphis Treat- this is completely ridiculous in a mostly enjoyable kinda way. Hmmm- bar-rock-pop for middle-age emotional retards, especially those eating outta spray-painted garbage cans and "drinking in a bar." I could do without the instrumentals and a few throwaways, but tighten this down to 8 and you'd have yourself an anthemfest- assuming you're down with singing about balding women and smoking crack on your way to junkie beach.

No comments: