26 May 2008

Unreal World

Half way through a collection of short stories by Steven Millhauser entitled The Knife Thrower. So far the following may or may not have happened. A knife thrower impaled a willing volunteer from the audience as his final act, a man married and lives with a large frog for a wife, young girls have formed a secret society that meets nightly in the woods and rituals involve nudity and fondling, a man caught with a married woman is brought to his end by a duel with the cuckold husband, the fad of flying carpets entices neighborhood boys to seek the heavens, and a genius crafter of automatons captivates an excited town.

My two previous Millhauser novel reads have been rewarding: Edwin Mullhouse was the story of a legendary comic book author who died at age thirteen, and Martin Dressler - a Pulitzer winner - was the story of the rise and fall of a wondrous hotel developer.

Millhauser revels in sideshow entertainers and the art of conjuring. He is not limited to descriptions of technique; he is adept at creating characters of true emotion and harsh scenes of terror and delight. I should have bought more of his books at Half Price.

10 comments:

sonny house said...

man, I tried Mullhouse and could not penetrate it.

Did read Exit Ghost this weekend, and I'm still pondering on it.

Dr. D said...

what are you pondering? i thought parts were great, parts flat - like that plimpton section. all in, Everyman was superior, in my more than humble opinion...

Dr. D said...

finished 4 more of the Millhauser stories last night. one was so good, about an endless summer night where a boy stumbles upon 4 young girls playing wiffle ball in the dark, that it made me get all soft and mushy. ugg...

Dr. D said...

filming The Road article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/27/movies/27road.html?ref=books

sonny house said...

I like the debate about literary biographies and some of Z's interior reflection (danger, Tuna, navel-gazing), but the younger folks did not speak like people I've ever met, and the imagined He/She scenes broke up the narrative in ways I couldn't quite grasp the intent of. I also thought that Plimpton digression came too late and slowed things down unnecessarily, unless we're supposed to see him as a model of how to live in the world.

As a complete work of art it's considerably less than Everyman, but I'm glad I read it as another piece of the larger "Rothian" puzzle.

Suburban Dread said...

Just learned chords for Back in Black. Working on solo. Waiting for my portable Rockman amp in the mail. Plan to be ready to take lead guitar role by this fall.

1. Will basement be ready for practice by then?
2. Can I leave my Marshall stack there?
3. Are your prepared for my older, more mature lyrical output? I've also gone a bit more proggy musically speaking.

Dr. D said...

have they added more than 3 cohrds to back in black since i heard it last?

Dr. D said...

i need a cocktail. how much longer til friday?

Tuna said...

Sadly I have to report I will be attending a 7pm first night showing of Sex in the City on Friday night. This si followed Saturday evening with a birthday party for my step dad. This means no cocktails for the Tuna.

And ther are 6 chords in Back in Black. Hrumph.

sonny house said...

"Sadly I have to report I will be attending a 7pm first night showing of Sex in the City on Friday night."

Forfeit membership in manhood