17 September 2008

Nice to see that in my absence...

this place has retained its mantle as a gathering place for jaded poets and craftsmen. As for what I can tell you about four weeks off the grid, let me put it in blogspeak, ie a list of recommendations. lists rule!

The Aegypt Cycle - John Crowley's 4 novels totaling 1750+ pages concerning the present life of one Pierce Moffet and the past life of one Giordano Bruno might be the best reading experience of my life. Kudos to my sister for funding the venture.

I'm Alan Partridge - if you're feeling down and want to laugh rent either season 1 or 2 of this BBC classic with Steve Coogan as Partridge, the dimest git this side of Hugh Grant, and laugh for hours.

State of Play - Paul Abbott's 6 part BBC thriller/miniseries is the second best thing they've ever put out, after Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. You'll wish you worked for a newspaper.

The Relic and Cousin Bazilio - I was turned on to Jose Maria de Eca de Queiroz by a friend a long time ago and that Portuguese madman is worth every minute of your time. Get down and get with it.

Wall of Hits by Slade - been listening to this way to much. Best band ever. Not really, but Noddy Holder looks like your grandma whoever she is.

A Dance to the Music of Time - just starting Anthony Powell's 12 novel cycle, because, well because one should, ya know?

Shit fuck cock piss cunt balls.

Sucks about DFW. I mean really. So sad.

Cheers,
Dr. Dee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just jiving- i have that Partridge thing in my netflix queue, but I failed with another Brit thang that everyone raved about- Peep Show- have you seen it?

Powell, huh? Bold