02 December 2008

The year that was rock n roll: 2008





1. The Feeling of Love-Petite tu es Hit. What the John Spencer Blues Explosion sorta sounded like before they got into dance-y type stuff. Only bluesier. God, what sort of screwed up year is it when my fave band was French?

2. The Black Keys-Attack and Release. Yeah I know the rest of you don't like them. Still, I think this is a solid 2 piece middle of America blues group without the schtick of the White Stripes. They ran into a dead end on their last 2 lps, but this one is a rebirth of sorts. Interesting arrangements and weird effects. Major label music which doesn't suck.

3. Eddy Current Suppression Ring- Primary Colors. Not nearly as good as their first lp, but its still better than 98% of what I heard this year. If Wire was still a punker band this is what they might sound like.

4. Forbidden Tigers- Its only been 3 days since I lived with this lp, but I really dig it. These guys rawer sound resulted in them beating out their brother band Brimstone Howl for honors.

5. Jay Reatard- Matador Singles 08. The Superman of underground rock. More new wavy guitar driven stuff. I would have given him a higher ranking if I thought the music was more of a leap forward from his 06-07 singles release.

Honorable mentions: The Pets, The Pink Fits and The Magnetix.

Old stuff discovered: Hound Dog Taylor and RL Burnside. Raw electric blues is eternal. Also black 70s soul divas like Betty Wright, Candi Stanton, and Ann Peebles.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell me if you want me to burn any of this or if you want to download it on SoulSeek.

Anonymous said...

I have all of it except for the Tigers and Black Keys- sure, I'd be happy with a burn of the former- I'll try to put something up soon- still dealing with back problems, but a big needle is apparently in my future

Anonymous said...

What will the needle inject? What's it supposed to do other than kill the pain? Is there something else wrong with your back?

Dr. D said...

consider the source; the 5 LPs alongside my turtable are authored by Free, Nazareth, Black Sabbath, Sonics, Plastic Ono Band, and Lou Reed

best thing i heard this year is the 14 February 1975 soundboard recording of Led Zeppelin live at Nassau Colesium. oh my fucking christ is this thing not only the best live anything ever, it's 3:12 long. They used to do this a lot. for people paying like $10 or less. amazing amazing amazing. It's called "The St. Valentine's Day Massacre." Hammer of the gods indeed...

others...

Nobunny

Pets

Gentleman Jesse (which is really growing)

Bottomless Pit's 'Congress' EP was cool.

ECSR was solid.

Haven't got that new Reatard nonsense but will.

My iTunes says the thing i listened to most was Big Star's Sister Lovers, followed by Terry Reid's River.

best discovered vidclip is this one of Matthew Sweet on Letterman; note Robert Quine going absolutely apeshit on the fender...

Anonymous said...

I'll take a recording or downlaod of the Zep, Bottomless Pit's 'Congress' EP and ECSR, whoever that is. Can you make them available?

Dr. D said...

you have the eddy current; congress i can give you; zeppelin is too big for discs. you all need to get down with the portable hard drive shizz. or you can get it here where i go it...