30 November 2009

2009 - Didn't Suck After All

Considering this year began with me hearing (incorrectly) from a Dr. that my wife had terminal cancer, the year really shaped up! I got a job, my wife got pregnant and I heard a lot of great music. Below are some of my favorites from the last year of the "oughts" decade:

The Hunches- Exit Dreams and Home Alone- More pulverizing and melodic thump from what is IMHO the band of this decade. I even got to see them live at the Hemlock. Too bad their singer is a dork.

The Guilty Hearts- Pearls Before Swine- Dirty, heavy grind from what is apparently LA's last remaining garage band. Worth the two-year wait since their last.

Ty Segall- Lemons- Got to see this guy play, too. A mere child with a very foxy girl drummer. But I digress. The album flirts with White Stripes' shtick, but manages to avoid Jack White foolishness thanks to Ty's superior songwriting and love of the Cramps.

Jack O and the Tennessee Tearjerkers- "Sweet Thang" was the single of 2009. A beautiful guitar intro dissolves into a great love song. Other standouts include "Walk of Shame" and "Homesick Blues." The Youtube video of Jack-O is worth catching, if you haven't already.

The Intelligence- Yeah, I know they sound like The Fall. But so what? I love the angular fucked up shit these guys have cranked out over the last couple of records.

Dinosaur Jr- Farm- They still have it. Even better than their previous comeback record. True, their sound hasn't progressed much since 1987, but Dino Jr's records are still better than 98% of the derivative, uninspired crap that passes for underground rock n roll these days.

Black Diamond Heavies- Alive As Fuck- Messy, distorted keyboard driven blues. Don't hate him because he's white playing old black men's music or sounds like Tom Waits! Just listen to this live record, close your eyes and enjoy.

The Black Lips- 200 Million Thousand. It's been a long journey for me with these guys. Way back when I was living in New York, Sonny sent me their stuff. I couldn't stand it. The guitars sounded all fucked up and the vocals warped and whiny. And then towards the end of last year something snapped, and I realized the Black Lips were the greatest garage band of this decade. Sadly, 200 Million thousand is their worst record to date. But it's still pretty damn good, cause the Lips are that good.

Please post snide remarks and your own list ASAP.

Next up- Best of the decade?

10 comments:

Tuna said...

Hey! What gives? Let's argue!

sonny house said...

OK, you want me to get snippy?

You mocked me for liking the Intelligence and called them unlistenable a few years back. Glad you're still 0 for forever on the mea culpa scoreboard.

Ty Segall just don't move me. Can't say anything bad about the boy, but I've tried both records and I remain cold.

Guilty Hearts mean well but are generic and boring.

I've never heard of the Black Diamond Heavies- are they rap-rock? They sound like it.

I'm not crazy about the new Black Lips, either, but now that I think about it, I should have included it on my list- who can keep track of all this stuff?

Why aren't you listening to Pissed Jeans? What in the hell is wrong with you?

Tuna said...

I only do one mea culpa a day. See the Black Lips.

I shoulda had Love and Curses on my list. That Girls album sounds like a warmed over take on the first Strokes album. That's why Pitchfork types dig it so much.

There are others here I haven't heard, which is great. How about burning me some stuff?

sonny house said...

haha! I conveniently skipped over that Black Lips admission. Like the rest of this miserable world, I see what I want to see.

I can't defend the Girls. I just keep listening to it.

Got all this stuff on vinyl, which I am unable to burn. Don't you have Soulseek anymore?

And why are you up at 4:00? It's not like you've had any major life changes recently and others impending?

Tuna said...

I work market hours and constantly monitor our client's holdings in overseas markets. I would assume your advisor does the same. This is the life I have chosen!

Looks like Molina is going to Mets. I am quite happy about this.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you'd throw Sabean a bone for refusing arbitration. Now they can say they wanted to sign him but the Mets snatched him away. I hope/think they're ready to hand it over to Posey, and he's ready to disappoint the legions.

Tuna said...

Now who is negative guy? Why are you down on Posey?

Actually the Giants are going to go with Torreabla for a year and then go with Posey.

BTW- have you ever gone to spring training?

Anonymous said...

I'm not down on him- I wish him all the best- I'm just tempering my expectations.

Are you joking about Torvit? Isn't he a Rockie?

No, but always wanted to.

Tuna said...

Torvit is a free agent. Rumor is he is coming to SF as a placeholder until Posey is ready.

Anonymous said...

billige uggs jltdhiij ugg norge zvdutodk ugg sko kwlsxmwd ugg uoagwmqq uggs australia rrxdvhnn uggs norge thsxqxxl uggs p? nett elhzghmx uggs sko mgzoptmg uggs vdhjxcac