26 December 2009

Bye Vic

Vic Chesnutt killed himself over the Xmas holidays, and while I'm getting tired of some of my favorite artists offing themselves around my own age (David Foster Wallace- I know it's chemical, but god damn), here are some lines from Vic. RIP you tortured motherfucker.

10. "Christian charity is a doily over my death boner"

9. "...even her freakish nipples were akimbo."

8. "Florida, that redneck riviera...it's a perfect place to retire from life."

7. "When I ran off and left her, she wasn't holding a baby, she was holding a bottle, and a big grudge against me."

6. "...just a general freak that is boiling in me, and I'm terrified what it is gonna dislodge...I bent over backwards to misbehave, it's a holy wonder I didn't just flip over into an early grave...I guess it's time for me to get the fuck out of Dodge."

5. "I'm so sorry you had to kick my ass, you said I ruined your life, I didn't mean to do that"

4. "Imports and altercations, my faculties on a shoe-string vacation, I settle down on a hurt as big as Robert Mitchum, and listen to Lucinda Williams."

3. "I am barely alive, ever since my daddy died, I've been searching for my own little babies, to misbehave and betray me."

2. "It's funny how I alienated those who I was trying just so-so hard to impress, now half those fuckers hate me and I'm just a fool to all the rest, why do I insist on drinking myself to the grave, why do I dream about a cozy coffin? I had all these plans of great things to accomplish but I end up purely pathetic more than often."

1. "So all you observers in your scrutiny, don't count my scars like tree rings, my jigsaw disposition, its piecemeal properties, are either smoked or honey cured, by the panic pure."

2 comments:

Tuna said...

Thanks for tracking these down. I heard the news. Don't know if I've ever heard the man's music. A terrible loss in any event. It's frightening the darkness and sadness out there.

sonny house said...

He's one of those guys I've followed for twenty years- have just about everything he ever put out, but only saw him once. Just him, his wheelchair, and an old acoustic at an old church in SF. Bestest darkest sense of humor out there, but apparently that wasn't enough to keep the demons away. This wasn't his first attempt- just the one that worked.