09 June 2010

We Never Learn


I've been waiting anxiously for this book since I heard it was on its way, and I managed to consume its 300+ pages in less than 24 hours. That alone should tell you most of what you need to know, but a few words anyway. Eric Davidson, the lead singer of New Bomb Turks, wants to celebrate (and get some posthumous respect for) those "gunk punk" (his term) bands between 1988-2001, most notably the heavy hitters on Crypt, IntheRed, and Sympathy, which makes me his proverbial choir. Crypt is still my favorite label, and Davidson's tastes mostly run alongside mine. He champions Cheater Slicks, Devil Dogs, Gories, Oblivians, Dwarves, Dead Moon, and many others that essentially make up a list of my greatest hits from that or any other era. You get funny and illuminating interviews with everyone from Blag Jesus to Tim Warren to Mike Mariconda to Greg Cartwright. You get the road stories and even some backhanded digs (Jack White comes in for vitriol from several tongues). Given Davidson's love for three chords and a spray of hootch, you can read the book as something of a slap at how underground music has moved away from more straightforward rock music. I'm guessing he doesn't sit in front of the computer looking for the newest shitgaze myspace sensation. He wants his rock fast and sweaty and apolitical, and I had a very hard time arguing with him. Sure, I could have used less Supersucker love and maybe a page on the Revelators, but I ain't gonna nitpick his choices, especially as he said he turned in 700 pages and that first draft got chopped in half. And yes, his prose is annoying at times, especially when he reaches for metaphors to describe the music. Overall, though, this book will have you pulling out your Bantam Rooster and your Electric Eels and your Dirtys records, among about 100 others, and that alone makes this worth your time and money.

No comments: