15 July 2010

What Are You Listenin' To Summer


Abner Jay- Folk Song Stylist- another side of Abner, with no dick jokes or novelty numbers, what do you know- he sure can sing. My favorite purchase of the past several months, and an enjoyable listen all the way through, even if I do occasionally imagine him as a tweener Charles Barkley singing gospel- "Toiirible things."

The Sins- Smash Crack-Up Pop- I'm not sure the world needed another Original Sins record, but I'm buying, I'm buying. This is no return to greatness, but it's a pleasant way to spend forty minutes. Support Brother JT- he is an American treasure.

Sugar Shack- Get Out of My World- now that it's a cliche to blast Estrus, let me stand up for these stalwarts of that roster. Again, this ain't world-changing, but this, their best record, does the just-add punk energy to your 60s licks exceedingly well. I picked this up for a buck. You should, too.

Jerry Jeff Walker- Viva Terlingua- my favorite dusk record these days, this one be good for the tall glass with plenty of ice and a big sloppy smile. Up against the wall, redneck mother.

Spider Bags- A Celebration of Hunger- they win the anthem competition for "Waking Up Drunk," and the looseness of the arrangements and the smashed hootenany spirit that infuses this whole thang just hits me right. It sounds like it was recorded on the porch with no jar sitting empty for long. Righteous country shit.

8 comments:

sonny house said...

Hey Tom,
Gonerfest looks amazing, and in a perfect world I'd be there. Sadly, we live on this godforsaken planet, where mighty forces keep me in the Bay Area. Thanks for the Spider Bags recs, though, as that is definitely a band I'm looking forward to hearing more of.

bruce said...

just saw both gregg and dan in the last couple weeks, heard the new album and it's great. a couple other things in the same vein, limes - rhinestone river (that's shawn on the delinquent cover) and wes coleman 2nd album (untitled at this point, both coming out soon from goner

Anonymous said...

heard some limes years ago but nothing since- is that another memphis group? Wasn't there an Oblivians' connection? just ordered that coleman record. looking forward to hearing it when i get back from Holland.

bruce said...

limes is indeed memphis, jacko was in it for awhile, this new album has been in the works for about three years. wes has the one solo out, next(which i was refering to) about to come out and a third that he just recorded with greg ashley, maybe two weeks ago

Tuna said...

I have heard one new record this year. It was the the new Eddy Current, which I loved.

Ken and Tom, help a time pressed soon to be new dad out. Give me the name of a few records which you have liked this year so far.

sonny house said...

Tony, on your iphone there is a Notes feature where you can write things down when you need to remember them. This is handy for taking notes. I'm sincerely not trying to be an ass, but you ask this question every two months or so- write down the answers, and then the next time you're inspired to buy, there those recs will be.

Spider Bags
UV Race
Abner Jay
Pissed Jeans
Golden Boys
Snakeflower 2
Duchess and the Duke

Anonymous said...

that's cold

Tuna said...

Wow. Didn't realize I asked so much. Sorry.