05 August 2010

Blondie part deux


From Mr Baus who attended last night's show at the Fillmo'




Ok, so let me state outright, and this is not me romanticizing our beloved blonde vixen from her CBGB days, Debbie Harry is simply stunning. Maybe it was my really bad vision, maybe it was the lighting, maybe it was the insanely cool sparkly Raybans she was wearing (which I think we’d both agree, only she could pull off), or perhaps it was the jet white wig or I think it was a wig that she was wearing. But she was outrageously cool last night. She most certainly still has it, even at 65! She was awesome, really into all the songs she was singing. Old stuff, new stuff, she was rocking.

My quick impression of the musicians:

1. Chris Stein: Serves ZERO purpose. He does almost nothing since they have a hired guitar guy doing all the work. Really, I was almost embarrassed for him. He clearly knows his place in the legend of this band but it did not translate into him contributing at all last night.

2. Clem Burke: LOVED his drumming. He has ownage on the drums. It’s funny I’ve never equated Blondie as having drums being a forefront instrument but I was wrong. He was really good, really rocking out and keeping everything in place.

3. Keyboardist: Ridiculous. He was probably 30 years old and I found him embarrassing. Plus this being the first show of the tour, I noticed Debbie, Stein and Clem giving him the eye (which I assumed to mean he F’d up). Plus he used one of those cheesy 'keytars'...really lame.

4. Guitarist: Also a 30 something. Ridiculous. He played the core songs really well but he did the whole rock star solo schtick…guitar face, guitar walk to the front of the stage with wide open stance (how can this dude have the nerve to walk in front of Debbie Harry, repeatedly). Standing on the amps doing solos. I’m really surprised this hired this guy. It was painful to watch him, which I rarely did since I was visually stalking the maiden shown below.

5. Bassist: Solid, typical bassist just doing a great, if not noticeable job. Sort of like a good umpire.

6. Debbie: Still has a great honey voice. Still has the charisma, and still rocks out with voice and dancing. It is simply impossible not to stare at her at all times. Her smile could kill.

A good solid show with a little too much emphasis on songs from a new record they are working on.

A solid B+ from me. An A if they threw in some more obscure non-hit 70s tunes, and if that guitarist hadn’t made such an ass of himself.

Man, check her out in this old picture. I mean really look at her. WOW!

2 comments:

bruce said...

it's a bit boring around here lately, just wanted to tell you that the limes lp is now available from goner

sonny house said...

yea, I was in Holland for a good chunk of the summer- thanks for the info on the Limes, and hope you're drunk or on your way