26 January 2011

The Gospel Swingers- Mississippi


Wow, I forgot I owned this, which I suppose is part of the fun of grab bag theater. This has to be one of the more obscure IntheRed releases, despite the star-studded pedigree. If Feast of Snakes, Blacktop, and Fireworks ring bells, prick up your ears. This falls on the R&B tip of the 90s' embrace of older music (OK, this came out in 2001, ya nitpicker), and it's hard not to hear the echo of Jon Spencer somewhere in the studio background. No incessant shrieks of "Gospel Swingers, Gospel Swingers" as backup vocals, but I'm guessing these folks have heard a Joe Tex record or two. Look, if a chorus consisting of the spelling of a poor southern state frightens you, maybe you should pass. Me, I kinda dig that "hump back hump back i" closer, and I'm just a wee bit sad that the good people at ITR passed on the album that came after this. Now maybe it was as stinky as the Now Time Delegation (three members of that band play here, and I never heard the damn thing, as it was released years later on some obscure Euro label), and so no stones thrown, but if you see this one in the dollar bin, snatch it up and sing along. That chorus will take you back to first grade.

2 comments:

bruce said...

ha, just noticed the new blog list update, easter bilby sneaking in

sonny house said...

I move very, very slowly