01 February 2011

Down Home Ways


Muddy Waters was the first bluesman I discovered without help from an adult. My dad liked BB King and John Lee Hooker, but I discovered Muddy as a California kid transplanted near Chicago. It's his voice and stellar backing band that I really dig. Check out the great harmonica work on so many of his songs. That's James Cotton. It didn't hurt that Muddy recorded for the legendary Chess label. The Stones even named a song after the address of Chess.

Anywho, this is pretty good introduction to his music. My faves are Hoochie Coochie Man, Forty days and Forty Nights, Young Fashioned Ways and I'm Ready. It's pretty sexually charged stuff from a Chicago OG by way of Mississippi.

4 comments:

bruce said...

a friend wrote the book on him,

http://blues.about.com/od/bluesbooks/fr/Watersbook.htm

bruce said...

it's a great book, as is book on memphis, it came from memphis

The Tuna said...

I read It came from Memphis. Great book. You know that author. Wow.

Do live in Memphis? Man, I love that town. Kozy Korner BBQ, Gus's Fried Chicken and Rayford's. Does that crazy club still exist? How cold is it there right now?

bruce said...

yeah i'm in memphis, rayford's closed, it may have been reopened by a new owner with most of the same decor, there was an attempt, not sure if it's still going

yesterday, in the morning it was mid 60's when i went to bed it was 25