02 February 2011

Straight Arrows- Can't Count/Something Happens

Was pleasantly surprised to find this in the dollar bin having heard good things from multiple sources, and them sources don't lie. Big hooks on both tunes nearly lovingly buried in boombox production. Charmingly inept two-note leads that keep the kids dancing, and a stomping drive to the pop that conjures images of sweaty hair flung aggressively side to side, letting out the week's frustration in two minutes of release. In other words, more Aussie power. Word is a new record just hit, and I want it.

8 comments:

bruce said...

got the lp. hit me up, hear they are coming on tour to the us in the fall

The Tuna said...

Yo Tom

Where can I get the vinyl? I have a hard time finding this Aussie stuff.

And how cold is it in Memphis right now?

bruce said...

easiest it goner, they are my first stop when stuff comes in, but also permanent, fls dying, or midheaven

it's frigging cold, around 20, i guess

The Tuna said...

There are times when I am reminded why living in CA is a good thing. Like this AM when I got some photos from my friends in Chicago this AM. Its 25 below with the wind chill and the snow has buried cars, sidewalks, etc. Just brutal, man.

Tuna said...

And thanks for the tip, Tom.

Just curious, but does anyone have a theory as to why Australia suddenly went crazy with great bands? Its kinda weird (in a good way), no?

bruce said...

sometimes i like to pat myself on the back for making alot of them available in the states, but no idea in what created the explosion

Unknown said...

Bloody hell, I live in Aussie and haven't even heard of these dudes. Fill me in where are they from and all the other stuff...

bruce said...

they're from sydney, angie is also in circle pit and owen has played with them as well. they were on which ever volume of world's lousy* was the australian one (#7?) which often confuses people into thinking they were on aarght records, which they haven't been, because aarght put it together and all the other bands were on aarght. some of this might not make sense if you're not a complete music dork

*a series of compilations put out by an american record label