08 December 2011

Royal Headache

The Oz-invasion continues with more shocking quality but with straight angles this time- fast-strummin pop music from the ironically named Royal Headache, about the least migraine-inducin' sounds from down there since the Hoodoo Gurus' "I Want You Back."  I'm guessing Paul Weller is sitting uncomfortably somewhere, knowing this sound exists and that he failed to produce it when he dumped The Jam for the Style Council, that wimpy white man's attempt at a soul revue.  Most of the R&B in this pup comes through the vocals, as the dude ain't afraid to sustain a note and emote.  Mostly you get frantic down-strummin underneath those silky vocals, and as an old English teacher, I'm impressed how they cut fat from each tune.  Economical, these boys, but with one exception. If you're going to produce a symmetrical pop album with six 2-minute songs on each side, an instrumental added to each just means a touch of bloat you worked so hard to cut from each song. I don't know if they decided 23 minutes would not make a proper album or somebody has an instro fetish, but unless you've got Rick Wakeman on keys, stick some vocals in and don't allow for bathroom breaks in the middle of your record. That is a quibble, however, for what is essentially an entirely loveable album.  It's hard to imagine anyone but nitpicking naysayers not enjoying this thing. So sorry Paul Weller- I'm going to play it again and haunt your oxycontin dreams.

6 comments:

bruce said...

i'm just saying, my wife mentioned hearing it at work the other day and the whole album played through my head for the rest of the day

M.Cardwell said...

It is a good one. Bummed I missed them when they were here in Oakland. It's a very fun record to sing along to while driving home.

Anonymous said...

didn't they play at 1234? I think it was on a Sunday night or something, so I missed it as well. Have you seen any shows at that spot, Mitch? It looks small, but it sure is convenient (aside from the no booze thang, which remains aggressively inconvenient)

M.Cardwell said...

Yeah, they played at 1234go. I had every intention of going, but opted to mope at home instead. I've seen one show there (Wrong Words + Midnite Snaxxx) and it was totally fine. The bands play in the back room, which seems to be comparable to The Knockout (minus the whole bar section, I guess). Bigger than you'd think. All the shows are $5 and all ages...lotsa young folks seem to come out. The no-booze thing is a rule, sure, but if you imbibe undercover (brown bag), I seriously doubt there'd be an issue. Shows have to be over at 10pm, which makes weeknight shows (which are frequent) that much easier.

Tuna said...

I own a Style Council records. Everythime I play "You're the Best Thing," tears well up in my eyes. How dare you!

Anonymous said...

yea, but you're metro