23 December 2011

This happiest time of the year


Thank God for children. Without them, this time of year would just bum me out. Another year has passed and, wow, I still feel like a lifelong underachiever. But I can spend the next few days numbing acute feelings
of self-loathing and self-pity with little kids' laughter (and a healthy amount of booze). And rock 'n roll. Lord Christ, I love the rock 'n roll.

The Eddy Current Suppression Ring - So Many Things. What we have here is a collection of singles and B- sides that are, as usual, great. I wouldn't expect anything else from the godfathers of the New Aussie scene. The consistency of songwriting, sound and groove thing from this band is unparalleled. Nuff said. Even my Coldplay-loving wife loves these guys!

Black Lips- Arabia Mountain. A band that has absolutely dominated the scene for years with their encyclopedic knowledge of garage rock and insane work ethic. I wouldn't say all the songs on their latest will stick in your head, but pretty damn close. Still the best in the land?

Bass Drum of Death-There are some who will accuse these 2 of being young Nirvana wannabes. And I'll grant you at times they sound a bit like 'em. But I think BDOD are more in the J Reatard vein, which is great stuff in my book. Plus they're from Mississippi. So they've got that going from them.

Jack Oblivian- Check that. Jack Oblivian is the best in the land. See Sonny's review. Nothing to add other than this was in heavy rotation on the family turntable.

OBNs III- The One and Only. The greatest dirty p-rock record since the dearly remembered Problematics. Music for drinking with your friends and trying to act like you're 18 again. Glorious. Every year there should be a couple of rippers like this record. It makes you feel young and hungry.

       

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I need to get that ECSR