09 February 2006

Top Five Quotes From First Three Chapters of James Crumley's The Wrong Case
5. He fled into a long, down-spiraling drunk, heading West to die in a strange place where he wouldn't shame his family.

4. Get off my ass, old man. Let's get drunk and be somebody.

3. He told me that if I didn't have a job I'd drink myself to death before I really had time to enjoy it.

2. We sipped the drinks as we strolled the forty steps down to Mahoney's, sauntering like lords throught the summer afternoon buzz of shoppers and gaping tourists, down to Mahoney's Bar and Grill, where I had unlimited credit and willing friends, grease to ease the squeaking wheel of a summer afternoon.

1. So what if I was half in the bag, lonesome and dumb with self-pity, left with a life that had become all hangover and no drunk. I wanted to feel human again, and the only way I knew was with a woman, and the only women I knew were gay divorcees, stoned hippie chicks, and tired barmaids whose emotions were as badly mangled as mine, and I wanted more, wanted this squirrelly, oddly virginal English professor from some godamned crossroads in Iowa, wanted her like I hadn't wanted anything in a long time, too long. So I said it again, "My days for your nights."

5 comments:

Tuna said...

this looks like a stunning book. I am going to be checking it out. Please keep up the cartoons. They provide welcome relef during the dismal string of earnings reports and pointless conference calls. Midtown loves your work, Dr.

sonny house said...

I just got done reading a long book on Enron and then watching the documentary. I don't believe your earnings reports. Try not to call any analysts assholes on conference calls. Kinda got Skilling in trouble, or are you the analyst asking troublesome questions like, "How come you guys don't produce a spreadsheet like everybody else?"

Dr. D said...

get me a copy. i want those coe books this weekend!

sonny house said...

bradley, this might be a good entrypoint back into reading- tough guy PI stuff with ridiculous amounts of drinking and violence

Dr. D said...

sweet!