25 November 2008

Duller


Its been awhile since Green Bay's Mystery Girls came out with a new lp. While I never thought these guys were original in any way, they had their moments. Moreover, I wanted to like The Mystery Girls if only bc they weren't afraid to write actual rock n roll songs sans irony or the safety of hiding out in low fi land. So it is with disappointment that I report their new album Incontinopia seems lacking not only orginality but also decent tunes. I counted just two good songs and several disturbing, failed attempts to break off into "rock" or pop territory. Even worse, there are two songs that are pure White album type filler. How can you be so short of material after its been at least 2 years since your last record?
In sum, me thinks this is the sound of 5 guys who ran out of inspiration after 2 records. At moments like these bands either break up or (rarely) come back with something new and inspiring. In either event, you can skip this one.

No comments: