14 December 2008

Bring Me the Head of Sir Richard Branson

This was the best year for records I can remember in a long while. Even the Bay Area blasted out some gems- hard to imagine that three of my top five are from around here. Psychefunkapus, who knew ya? Usually I scramble to fill out ten, and that requires a quality stretch of great Christian generosity. I like all of these records. Quite a bit, actually. Really.

17. Hank IV- Refuge in Genre- I don’t hear the big highs from the first one, but this may be more consistent, and these guys continue to destroy live. More quality from Frisco- let the economy tumble into the sea and let the rockers take up residence amongst the ashes.

16. Cheap Time- S/T- half great debut from Mr. Novak and his pretty boys- this could use a little more variety but still the winners win big. Boomer, I see a huge upside.

15. The Nodzzz- S/T- good-time nerd rock that’s over almost before you can say four-eyes, these local poindexters knock out one of the best tunes of the year in “In the city (Contact High)” (amazingly, not a Turner cover). Couldn't hate you if this grated, but open those wings and let the love inside, hater.

14. Davila 666- S/T- Puerto Rican Black Lips would be the lazy shorthand, but given I can only sit for three minutes at a time before seizing up from back pain, I’m going with it.

13. Andre Williams and the New Orleans Hellhounds- Can You Deal With It? - Andre hasn’t lusted after longed for luxuriated in so much pussy since Silky. I believe he uses the word more than ‘the.’ Filthy party spinner of the late-night booty call motivational anthem. Check.

12. Brother JT3- Jelly Roll Gospel- brownnosing fanboy that I am, if it’s JT, I’m gonna love it, so a number eleven next to his name suggests this is a lesser effort. I still like it, but a couple of pseudo-reggae beats is perhaps evidence that the bong should come off the coffee table and the heavy lysergics man should be resummoned.

11/10. Jay Reatard- Matador Singles and ITR singles- what can you say at this point? The hits keep coming, and while the Matador collection is a bit more spotty, it’s still a purty amazing thing in this year of Obama to write a single a month- who does he think he is, John Fogerty (whoops, he wrote three hit fantastic albums in a year). Hate him all you want, but you can't deny the songs.

9. Eddy Current Suppression Ring- Primary Colours- I’m a little disappointed with this after the glory of the first record. These just don’t hit nearly as hard. They still hit, though, at least for the most part, even if they never quite reach those heavy punk happy grooves from the debut. "Which Way to Go" is a stone classic, though.

8. The Ooga Boogas- Romance and Adventure- again from Down Under, this be a hard’un to classify. The first song sounds like an A-Frames rip, but what follows could be Keith and Gram having a kitchen singalong. From there, they throw it all at the wall, and most of it sticks.

7. The Duchess and the Duke- She’s the Duchess, He’s the Duke- in which a garage hero from the Northwest reincarnates himself as a Greenwich Village folkie and damn if he doesn’t pull it off- completely. I find myself putting this on just to see if I’ve been suckered. Still nope. Folk rock with nay a Renaissance dress in sight. It’s a new world.

6. Pierced Arrows- Straight to the Heart- a new name but the same old game, which happens to be one of the best in the land inside my head. This is tarnished only by the shitty quality of the vinyl, which crackles and occasionally swallows up all sound. The songs themselves, however, are gold.

5. The Pets- S/T- a nearly flawless mid-tempo melodic punk record that delivers some of the best bass runs I’ve heard in this genre for ages. The anthems just keep coming, and if there’s one minor complaint it’s that there's a sameyness to the record in terms of style. That said, I wouldn’t argue with the man who countered that it’s all a samey quality top to bottom. A fantastic rookie effort.

4. Gentleman Jesse- S/T- This grew on me more than any other record. I thought it was too wimpy the first few times, but this insidious little popper does attach once it’s stopped playing. I still can’t decide if the Equals cover is genius or pure cheese, but I’m willing to keep it on and the verdict out.

3. Dan Melchior und das Menace- Christmas for the Crows- the most consistently prolific, prolifically consistent, artist out there? I use the term intentionally, because the man is beyond categories. He writes songs, not genre exercises. “Swamp” is the eeriest riff of the year, the soundtrack to a nightmare you’d actually tap your toe to while being devoured. Buy anything with this man’s name on it.

2. Apache- Boomtown Gems- the “Boyz Life” single was the best I’d heard in years, and while only a few songs here live up to that standard, this is still a good time glam fest for your Saturday night. It’s well-written, sing along anthems from the fun school. That is not a bad thing.

1. Nobunny- Love Visions- but the clear winner, and even my daughter’s big fave, has to be this collection of kooky pop genius. How many big hooks can you count? How many stupid smiles? What kind of ridiculous harmony drugs are they smoking down in the Temescal? Is Lanesplitter spiking the Canadian Bacon with love? This just got reissued so get on down to 1234 Go and buy a second copy. Tell ‘em Amy sent ya.

6 comments:

sonny house said...

by the way, 2-11 could rearrange themselves hourly. It was a very good year.

Anonymous said...

funny, I'm listening to Big Soul by the Original Sins and I'm pretty sure it would be the best of 2008 had it come out this year. Still, I'm wondering if it's possible to burn any of these for sharing purposes? I got a CD coming your way as thanks.

How's the back?

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking my list is gonna look really similar.
Have you checked out the King Tuff "Was Dead" LP? Stoner-punk in a league with Apache, though more pop-rooted.
---Mitch

Anonymous said...

I tried to download King Tuff and buy it but have failed on both counts. I expect a burned copy to be dropped off at the Kerry House and Chicken Makhani paid for when I arrive Friday afternoon.

By the way, I heard you guys are having a party- what's the age cutoff?

Anonymous said...

Male age cut-off = no one under 30
Female age cut off = no one over 19

I'll burn Tuff for you.

-Mitch

sonny house said...

snappy, and oh so right