27 March 2009

Everything I Want


I've been listening to a lot of 90's indie rock lately, and it's always interesting to hear what holds up and what doesn't. I'm still shaking my head at how good I thought the Didjits' Hornet Pinata was in my memory but repeated plays say no. Pavement littered its records with melodies, but that lethargy in the vocals and playing drips of a slacker who-cares era I'd rather forget. The biggest winner, by far, in this purely anecdoctal sampling of the old days, is The Laughing Hyenas. I drove over Fish Ranch this afternoon with the top down, and while decorum suggested something light and frothy, John Brannon nearly drove me down the canyon. That voice. That fucking scream. The man gets too little credit. Have you heard anything quite like that sound in the last ten years? The second record wasn't quite what I hoped it still was, but the first one blew my fucking head off. "Love's My Only Crime" defeats all comers in the musical catharsis sweepstakes, especially if you're middle-aged with embarrassingly unresolved issues. Pull it out tonight to dredge up the sludge from the bowels of the repressed.

9 comments:

sonny house said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTO4k2zSskc

Tuna said...

Is it fair to say that there is a direct line connecting The Laughing Hyenas (90s monsters) to The Hunches (00 monsters)?

I HATE 90s music with a few exceptions. The whole alterna-nation state of mind is so fucking annoying. Recall that it was during the 90s that every dope got a tatoo, a goatee and started riding a mountain bike.

One name: Eddie fucking Vedder.

I'll take the mindless materialism of the 80s over the grungy 90s from a pop cultural and musically perspective every time.

One name: David fucking Lee Roth.

sonny house said...

I was thinking of The Hunches when I was listening to Hyenas. They're two of my favorite bands, but you can't listen to them that often. It's too much. You need the right moment and when it hits, it destroys.

Good call.

Tuna said...

Thanks. Actually, I've recently started only listening to lots of crazy loud intense punk stuff. It's the only that sounds good.

We just got done watching Juno. Never saw it before. You know that part where Jennifer Garner says to her immature jerk off wanna be husband "You're shirt is stupid?" I looked down and I was wearing a skull and cross bones KUSF shirt. I felt really dumb. And then I looked up and my wife was looking right at me.

And that weasel husband was a big 90s music fan. He even was into latter day Sonic Youth.

Case closed. Van Halen wins.

sonny house said...

A la 90's music- Crypt Records- cased closed- again

Tuna said...

Sharks win!

During the post game interview I was confronted by Jody Shelly's lack of teeth. Wow!

Anonymous said...

I went to Looney's tonight, so let me share-

bland garlic mashed potatoes

beyond bland bbq baked beans

tough pork baby back ribs

shitty IPA

After one visit, I call this place shit.

Tuna said...

you are like Jesus. Suffering for us!

Sorry, I just got back from 5 o'clock mass.

Once again I'm left with the belief that Everret and Jones owns the East Bay BBQ scene. Except for that Bo's place which is supposedly off the chain as the kids say.

And just asking but hasn't spring training been going on for like 5 months now?

sonny house said...

Everett and Jones is another league- I need to get back to Bo's for another comparison meal