10 November 2009

For the Love of Econochrist


Econochrist. For the love God, Econochrist. Something about that name just dredges up the worst aural waves of tuneless thrash, the most tired images of crusties begging quarters on Telegraph, and the dumbest PC kneejerk rants. After reading Gimme Something Better, an oral history of Bay Area punk, why is Econochrist stuck in my head like a bad pop song?

Well, the good news is that it ain't all Gilman all the time, even if the second half gets taken over by Tim Yo, MRR and the 924. I'm guessing for most folks, the ride will peak when you hit the spots you know the least about or the times you were there. I enjoyed the Mab stuff most, because I was still listening to the Doors and punkers scared me. The Nuns and Crime ruled it, and the opening sections make it all sound fun and wild as each band tried to differentiate itself before the mass homogenization that was hardcore would sweep through and lay down the laws. Yea, there is too much on the Dead Kennedys and Green Day, but there's plenty here to devour (the 480 pages went down in 3 days) to help fill in the gaps when you were in college, on the road or dabbling in folk. I was barely on the periphery for some of this, so I have no clue who is telling the truth, settling scores, kissing ass, letting the bitterness flow or remembering what he just don't have in his pickled brain no more. And certainly I can't do justice to the onslaught of names, places and dumb politics, so how about a list.

Christ on Parade, the Farm, Crimpshrine, Ruthie's Inn, DRI, On Broadway, Verbal Abuse, the Stone, Op Ivy, Berkeley Square, Neurosis, Barrington Hall, Isocracy, Napa St. Hospital, Avengers, Blondie's, Fang, Sick Pleasure, Attitude Adjustment, Pinhead Gunpowder, Negative Trend, Flipper, Oppressed Logic, Corrupted Morals, Gearhead, Filth, Blatz, Sweet Baby, Social Unrest, Pansy Division, Tribe 8, MDC, Tilt, Steel Pole Bathtub, Rancid, Schlong, etc. etc. etc.

It's funny- blasting through that list I realize how few of these bands I actually like, and most of 'em came early in the game (I'd say the Bay Area puts out far better records these days than in any of these eras, so shoot me). The best show I ever saw at Gilman was the Dwarves (who get short shrift here) and that was over in eight minutes. That said, you have to read the thing, if only to marvel at the names and places. And if you really need to be reminded about how terrific/horrific some of these bands were, there is a website and a playlist at http://www.gimmesomethingbetter.com/

I'm not gonna check, but I believe it even plays Econochrist. Jesus.


6 comments:

Tuna said...

The politics were retarded. And you're right. Most of bands really sucked in a generic sort of way. But its always fascinating for me to read about a scene or movement morphing over time, the people who fall in, out and the very few who endure.

Somewhat related, am I the only one in the Bay Area who doesnt like Green day's music? Does anyone else just hear a soundtrack for a Tony Hawk video game everytime they are played? And can anyone doubt they are one of the prime culprits in the creation of the mall punk industry?

I ordered this book. I'm hoping there is a lot on Crime and the Mab scene. BTW, what did they say about the Busted Lives?

sonny house said...

I like Dookie. Hang me. Did you know Billie Joe built a huge mansion in Piedmont? We pass it on the way to the baseball field. It looks like Edgar Allan Poe's house, and the gate is immense.

The Busted Lives, like Hell's Kitchen, were criminally omitted. I have contacted my lawyers.

Tuna said...

I dont fault mr joe for building a huge house. He may even be a great guy. His music to me just sounds like something for 12 year old boys. The guitars are canned, the voice is whiny and moany...

"If you can't stand the heat,...." was a great record.

Anonymous said...

Burned through this book pretty quickly too, and enjoyed it on a few levels (tabloid, mostly)...but it's not a comprehensive take. Obviously.

I really appreciated the chapters on The Farm and Fang, if only because those seem to be (until now) the least documented aspects of Bay Area punk. That right there was worth the cover price.

Funny that you mention Tim Yo: I think his perspective on this would've really kicked this book up a considerable notch. Love/hate/whatever him...

Did you ever scoop up that histroy of Telegraph Ave that Aaron Cometbus wrote??? "The History Of The Electric Mennorah" PLEASE DO...Crimpshrine-connection be damned. A $3 investment (available at Amoeba or Issues) that'll truly pay off.

----Mitch

Anonymous said...

Yea, I read it and enjoyed it thoroughly. Especially loved the Moe's/Black Oak stories. I might have told you this before, but for a short time I taught the Rasputin's owner tennis down at some public Berkeley courts. He was insane in a very entertaining way. He thought country club membership should be based on ability, and that we ought to seed the clouds every night. At least those are two nuggets I remember.

Anonymous said...

speaking of Econochrist-

http://terminal-boredom.com/forums/index.php?topic=21981.0