12 November 2009

So You Used to be a Surfer in Huntington Beach


All that past tripping the Bay Area punk book bred had me scouring the basement shelves, looking for some trips down p-rock lane. Having spent the early 80s in Orange County, it was impossible not to catch the beach-styled melodic hardcore sounds of DI, Agent Orange, The Adolescents and Social Distortion a ton of times, but it's been years since I had a listen. Yea, it's the sound of youth and a bit silly now, but I can understand why I loved it then, as the hooks come fast and furious. If you want to hear a slightly updated version on that Huntington Beach aesthetic that works, check the bargain bins for Smogtown's Fuhrers of the New Wave, the best record in that style I've heard (granted, I ain't heard many). One big anthem after the next and it's Fender's all over again. Their next record didn't do much for me, but listening to this 2000 release in 2009 it's like cruising down Harbor Blvd. to the Music Market, where you might buy a record because the guy on the cover is wearing a Clash shirt (as I did with the first Leaving Trains album). Damn solid beach punk, if you're so inclined.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

man,. why you hatin' on the beach punk? give your youth some love. Pliny the Elder at Cato's and all is right. Weekend crush means whatever the hell it will. I do.

Tuna said...

Wow,I've never heard of this band. But the fact you chose them over DI, etc as kings of the OC sound says a lot. When I think about it, you must have been crushing it back then. 1980s Orange County, college student-tennis player, hanging out at p-rock shows. Hears, how much leg did you get back then, Sonny?

Anonymous said...

nah, didn't say they're the kings- just said this is a modern version of that old sound that works, shockingly. And it's probaby a buck at Amoeba.

By the way, P Breber says hi.

Tuna said...

Tell Pete I say hi back.

Brace yourself- I am buying a drum machine this weekend.