16 November 2009

Is it me, or do these kids suck?

New York Magazine is filled with the usual self congratulatory articles this week, including a feature which labels Brooklyn as the center of all music genius. Case in point is The Dirty Projectors. Other bands mentioned are Management and Grizzly Bear.

I am old. 41 to be exact. And so take this for what its worth, but all these 20 something quirky indie bands leave me cold. Maybe its because their musical reference seems more closely aligned with African high life music than Mississippi hill country or garage fuzz. Or maybe it's that these kids all seem a bit too self-aware. Or maybe (likely?) I'm just a grouchy old man on a rant about "kids these days."

But somebody needs to explain to me the appeal of this music? Where is the rock? Where is the roll? What happened to my America???

http://nymag.com/arts/popmusic/features/61874/

2 comments:

sonny house said...

I'm not sure, but apparently, there is this woman out there, Sarah something, and she is promising a bold return to 1955, your America. Get on her train and rockabilly bands will blast from car radios like the interstates are channeling Sam Phillips.

PC guy said...

So exactly how many Grizly Bear albums do you own, Mac Guy?