15 October 2010

October Listening Party


What Are You Listening To October-

Nobunny- First Blood- nothing as instantly toe-tapping as "Mess Me Up" or "I am a Girlfriend," but it's growing. "(Do the) Fuck Yourself" is an easy anthem to embrace, and there's a touch of Ray Davies' vaudeville side in this guy. I bet he never met a circus he didn't like, and there's a charm to the goofiness. No sophomore slump in sight.

The Vacant Lot- Because They Can- I just sold about ninety records and in the culling process listened to some on-the-cuspers. This was a surprise survivor. Started by a guy who left the early Devil Dogs, this is just much better than I remember. I suppose you'd call it power-punk-pop or whatever the newest label is, but it's pretty darn solid melodic rock n roll.

Naked Raygun- Understand- I heard my son singing "Treason treason treason" the other day, so clearly the hooks extend beyond my ears. This is barely half good, but "Wonder Beer" is always a smile, and I can't seem to quit on these guys lately.

Smogtown- Fuhrers of the New Wave- along with Bottles and Skulls, one of my favorite "new" (meaning last fifteen years) punk bands that I never hear anyone talk about. Beach punk done right with one winner after the next, which you'd never guess from the silly photos of the band on the back. Really, I'm not joking- this is great stuff.

Chosen Few- Do the Manic- just so fucking good- the "crazed" singer gets "crazed" right, and don't ask me to explain- sometimes it just works, and you bask in the glow of the mystery.

ACDC- High Voltage- there are good reasons to sell records you don't listen to anymore- you can buy records you can't stop playing. Just fantastic.

The Nerves/The Plimsouls/Paul Collins Beat- the more years that go by, the better these guys sound. You appreciate the hooks more, and I just found that second Paul Collins record I'd never heard that I believe was titled The Kids Are the Same, and it's a hoot as well. I haven't found too many great pop records lately outside of King Tuff, but this stuff sure sounds fresh.

No comments: