21 January 2011

Crossed-Eyed


I remember the turn to rock in the 90s, and now everyone wants to turn their backs on enjoying that shift. I don't know- I liked Supershitty to the Max. I liked Turbonegro. Sure, most bands were wanky and tuneless, but acknowledging the obvious debt to childhood seemed honest to me. I could sing along, even if the hair thing remained a problem. Entering these sweepstakes was one Rocket 455, and the single here is "Crossed-Eyed/Headin' for the Texas Border." Forget the A-side, but the flip is a beast- just everything this kind of big rock is supposed to deliver- anthemic chorus, driving, simplistic chord progressions, and dumb travel lyrics. That it's a Flaming Groovies cover will attest to, well, the fine songwriting skills of Mr. Loney. These guys had a pretty good ep if I recall, but that appears to be in the lost file.

No comments: