14 June 2011

Jim Jones Revue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0WtJ3RYlTo

Rock may be dead, but nobody told these guys. They've got all the cliches but god damn it they've got the old-time energy as well. I don't care how many Little Richard riffs they rip or how many times this lead singer watched Tex Perkins woo 'em in Berlin, these guys want the old gold. They want to sweat and scream and bleed and they want you to join them. I don't care if it's all been done before, because ironic detachment never got them dancing. Maybe it actually takes courage to be a Jerry Lee meets Beasts of Bourbon rocker in 2011, and the two records I have by these guys actually rock hard and change the dynamic of the room. I say go.

7 comments:

bruce said...

i've heard of these guys but always thought it was jim jones from cleveland, pere ubu, etc... will have to check them out

Anonymous said...

weirdly, they're from England, but they're unashamedly doing the rock star thing with great old-time rock n roll

Anonymous said...

oh yea, Bruce, I picked up that early Mats record- good fun

bruce said...

"i'm in debt, D - E - T"

Tuna said...

K, so this is a rare instance of me following up reading a review here and buying. Last night I went online and bought Jones and Apache. Vinyl, of course.

I hope I like these. We're half way done with the year and there are just 2 records released this year that I liked. Both reviewed here previously.

Speaking of which, does anyone know when a new Jack O or reigning sound record is coming out? Seems like we're over due.

And what does Kim Salmon do to keep himself busy these days? I ran across his name the other day and it made me wonder.

Anonymous said...

I think you'll dig Jones but I don't know about AD- take some schrooms before you listen to the latter- I think Salmon put out a new record recently, but he's been all over the map stylistically in the last decade- I have no idea what he's doing these days.

No idea on Jack O or RS.

Just got back from the batting cages watching ten-year olds try to hit 75 mph- mostly foul balls but damn that's fast.

When are we gonna get you out to the East Bay-? Beer Revolution needs your cash

bruce said...

saw jack last night, i know he's been working on stuff but no idea when it will be out, though he and harlan are supposed to do a euro tour in oct (?) i think it is

kim has a few bands going, he's been playing some residencies that switch up between them on a given night. there was a 7" for record store day precious jules (?) that was pretty great, also salmon, possibly darling downs (bluegrass band with ron pena from died pretty) i'm sure something else i'm forgetting