31 January 2012

Kajun SS

Think how much better Leaving Las Vegas would have been if KajunSS had provided the soundtrack. With Nick Cage weaving down I-15 with two bottles of Smirnoff between his legs and "Bored of Life" then "Shit City" blasting from his stereo, every motherfucker in that audience would leave the theater on the thanatos train.  Sadly, Figgis chose the treacly jazz deathtones of Sting, and the world lost one hell of an opportunity to say hello to King Louie at his angry best.  Louie's greatest vocal asset is that he repeats a few key phrases and by the end of the one-minute blast of loathing, you fully believe him. "I got psychological problems," for instance, in that voice, is compelling evidence for the statement. "You can eat my ass" sounds more like a command than a metaphoric putdown. Even "Eat me alive" is ambiguous.  Perhaps my favorite line comes from "Back in the Ring" when, after several unintelligible verses, we get, "Get back in the limo, you fucking whore." Without an ounce of context, that stands as a defining statement.  Darn catchy, too.  The closer is, naturally, "I Got a Drug Problem," which brings to mind the great Derelicts' anthem, "My Dad's a Fuckin' Alcoholic," clearly one of the great musical testaments to the age-old question:  alcoholism: nature or nurture? I'm not sure Louie is pushing the boundaries of psychological inquiry, but I sure do dig his song. Hey, I really would like to own this masterful EP on vinyl, so if you're holding, I'm holding something of wondrous value that you simply must have.

8 comments:

bruce said...

ha, i'm friends with everyone in the band, but don't have a copy

Anonymous said...

http://news.yahoo.com/neil-young-steve-jobs-listened-195913242.html

Neil keeps pushing, bless hit heart...

Tuna said...

For those of us new to Louie, can you recommend his best recordings?

bruce said...

i like loose diamonds alot, but that's very hard to find as well, it was with jack 0 and harlan t bobo. black rose and missing monuments are both pretty good in more of a power pop way. persuaders is probably closest to kajun ss

tuna said...

And the best Kajun SS?

Anonymous said...

All I know is the EP (I think it's self-titled) and a fantastic single with Automobile on the A-side. Probably short-lived. I concur with Sir Bruce on the Loose Diamonds- even called it my favorite record of some year some years back. Missing Monuments is poppier and OK, but The Persuaders is your ticket to KL hate heaven. I don't own the album and haven't explored its availability, but I've had it burned for years and it truly delivers on the fuck everything and most of all myself p-rock cathartic tip. Righteous shit.

Anonymous said...

I just bought the Persuaders record for 18 bucks. Did I get reemed? I don't know. Who has time to scour every angle. Listening party? Kegerator on site.

bruce said...

kajun ss, i think only had 2 7"s and one 12", that i'm aware of. that seems perfectly reasonable for the persuaders record. i was taking for granted that you knew louie was also in the royal pendeltons, there is a bunch of their stuff available for fairly cheap