27 January 2012

Sailors



The Aarght record fest continues with the Sailors' single, "Guilty Please Blues b/w Lets Go Chromin."

It sez on the back of this 45 that "Guilty Pleasure Blues" was recorded in Taiwan. I've been listening to punk and garage for decades and have NEVER heard of anything coming from Taiwan. The flip is the sloppy loud "Let's Go Cromin," which I'm sure is code for doing something bad. That hit was recorded at the "Bakehouse." Uh huh.

I'm getting bored with the high quality of music from Australia. This single ain't no exception. "Guilty Pleasure" has a vocal that sounds a lot like Johnny Thunders (!) to my ears. The guitar is some sort of weird thing with effects. Quite cool. "Let's go Chromin" is a sing-a-long rant that barely holds it together. I'm working on my second dirty martini as I write this and I'm guessing this tune is going to sound even better in about 3 more. Solid.

I have one more lp from Memphis that could disappoint. Certainly this Australian generation has its share of shitty bands? Somewhere there has to be another Midnight Oil, right?

No comments: