25 January 2007



What Are You Listening to January

At the Gates-Slaughter of the Soul- I've only heard this once but it pinned my sagging ass to the ground with a bazooka staple gun. The Laughing Hyenas of the hybrid metal/hardcore crowd, and I don't throw that name around lightly. Unless someone's holding.

Vic Chesnutt- Little- this is his first, and still a huge favorite. His story about trying to pull that animal out of his childhood trap still works, and every song has its own emotional and melodic hook. For how many years am I gonna have to pimp this talent before the tin-eared fucks of cyberland take proper notice? That many more?

Thee Headcoats- Conundrum- I'm a liar in just three short moves. "garage rock" for people with murder in their hearts. But still garage rock. Garage rock. Yea.

Electric Wizard- Dopethrone- everything points towards me asking my students for dope in the near future. Can anyone save my job by sending some tasty buds post-haste? My family thanks you for all you've done to keep them off the registers.

Black Sabbath- the first four records- a real discovery for the grizzler, taking me back to the Newport days and neighbors whose hair used to fly like the tops of tornadoes on a Kansas morning of destruction. Ozzy was really something once, but Iommi, oh my... Who knew in the halcyon days of punk certainty?

Didjits- Hey Judester- how this has held up. Yea, they frontload their records, but what a frontload. Ain't those first six minutes enough to grant them the keys to the kingdom? "Oh Dad you're so gnarly, you drove a Harley..." Ya fucker...

Montrose- S/T- undeniable cheese before indie sensibility existed to call it cheesy- this just rocks- the heavy mozz, a younger Sam, just bang it up and down, and give the fuck in...

Rolling Stones- Between the Buttons- Ain't life grand? If you ain't a total completist nerdozoid you can still find nuggets in your favorite band's discographies. Here is the evidence, and I've got the stupid smile to prove it. OK, when I was 16 I could track down and analyze every release, but now I have beer to drink in my 1 1/2 hours of free time.

Steppenwolf- S/T- OK, so you're sick of Born to be Wild- I feel your pain. Get past the obvious, the immediate, and find the nuggets beneath.

Dinosaur Jr.- Ear-Bleeding Country- if you did not do the 80's indie geetar drug thang and buy every Dino record and worship it with all your time and psychedelic energy, well, here is your chance to nostaligia up and K-Tel your fucking loser self. Greatest melodic hits that will never, ever match Living All Over You in a Campbell studio with one candle, two blocks of ice and three sixers of King Cobra.

No comments: