04 June 2007

(from Tim Goodman's blog)
"Deadwood" fans, your heads are about to explode.
I've had the "John From Cincinnati" DVD for a while now. The first three episodes. But you know me, I'm never in a rush to watch something if I've got other things going on. You know, like life. And something inside - some inner warning system - indicated it might be a better idea to put off watching these episodes as long as possible. After all, I'm a huge "Deadwood" fan and the abrupt ending to that series still leaves me peeved. What if I watched and "John From Cincinnati" was bad?
If you don't know what's coming next, you don't watch enough television: "John From Cincinnati" is bad. I love David Milch and he's definitely a misunderstood visionary and a real character in the TV business. But this show is a total mess.
My full review doesn't run until June 10 - it's the cover of the Sunday Pink section. But I figured you might want to get a head start on the anger and mourning and those thoughts of retribution. You know, have your gods ready for blood and all that. No sane person can pretend to know what Milch was thinking. It's his right as an artist and, as I've noted, a misunderstood visionary, to do as he wishes. But HBO? A total blunder. You don't let one of the great series on all of television fizzle out for...uh, for what? And even if those two two-hour movies do get made, they can't make up for the truncated legacy of "Deadwood."
Sad. Really sad.

No comments: