25 June 2008

Music of 1H08

This is it to date-What I listened to so far this year. Please give me your best of/worst of and we can compare notes (ie fight).

The Black Keys- Attack and Release. The use of trendy Danger Mouse as a producer could have really sucked. Instead it adds some nice touches. Love Dan Auerbach's fat blues guitar. Hot shit.

Cheap Time-Too Late. Good, but not as great as I had hoped. The vocals sound way too kid-like and precious. Be a man and quit with the cutesy shit. B-.

CoCoComa- s/t. Solid garage rock. I could do without the organ, which sounds rinky dinky at times, but worth it over all. B+.

Eddy Current Suppression Ring (1st one)- A Ken Derr rec. Extremely catchy. My 17 yo little sister likes it too. Reminds me of Wire. A.

Hex Dispensors- s/t. Sort of like the Ramones, but heavier. Every song is in the same time measure. But what the fuck? It works. B+.

Looking Glass "Brandy" Absolutely brilliant song. It has it all- story lyrics, over the top instrumentation and terrific arrangements (check out the horns). This is what 70s session musicians sounded like, I guess. Terrific. A+.

The Pink Fits-super mini lp. Maybe the best album here. Just straight up rocknroll, all loud and ragged as hell. A.

Black Time- Blackout. Kinda sucks. The Cramps without talent. D+.

Beasts of Bourbon- Little Animals- 2 or 3 good songs. The rest are poorly written and just so bleak in sentiment it bums me out listening to this for more than 10 minutes straight. C.

Carbon/Silicon- Jones and James are UK punk royalty. Sadly age hasnt provided any insight. Tell me how a 50 yo can seriously write a tune called Why Do Men Fight? The answer obviously is bc they're forced to endure trite shit like this. My God. D-.

Dirtbombs- the latest one. Still sounds crappy. Just bad songs IMHO. C.

Betty Wright-I Love the Way You Love. Mojo mag had a guide to the best of female soul singers. This was on it. Betty has a terrific voice and the whole album just exudes a 70s black vibe that I totally dig. The last golden era of black music for me. A-.

6 comments:

Dr. D said...

according to my ipod top 100 most played:

Terry Reid - River
Budgie - Squawk
Roy Wood - Boulders
John Coltrane - My Favoirte Things
Nina Nastasia - The Blackened Air
Silkworm - It'll Be Cool
GBV - Alien Lanes

according to my turntable, there's been a lot of Cheap Trick making the rotations...

Anonymous said...

When I arrive at your place tomorrow at 11, please have some of this ready to go.

by the way...anybody catch today's Germany game? Wow.

Dr. D said...

i'd give them all to you but no blank discs. bring 'em if you got 'em and i'll burn...

Anonymous said...

just so wrong the only thing I could do was fix the misspellings

Anonymous said...

huh? Explain.

See you Sunday.

Dr. D said...

nice call on betty wright; dloaded and blasted the greatest hits and it sounds amazing.

i now must have all her LPs...