15 October 2008

Music I never even knew I owned

Ever take a look at your music collection and think..."how the hell did I ever come to own that? I've never even heard them before!" In my post Soul Seek bender years, I've asked this more than once. So I finally decided to listen to all the random stuff I listened to once and forgot about. Below is what's in my what-the-fuck Itunes playlist. This is the first of what will likely be multiple postings:


Hanoi Rocks- 12 shots on the rocks. I think I found out about these guys via the Hollywood Brats. Anyways, they are awful and I totally understand why many of the shitty 80s hair bands talked about these clowns. Terrible lyrics, bad writing featuring cheesy guitar riffs and BRIGHT! BRIGHT! production. Just terrible.


Hollywood Brats- s/t. I have no ideas why anyone would compare Hanoi Rocks with this band. The Hollywood Brats were perhaps better than the New York Dolls and I am a huge Dolls fan. Essentially a 70s English rock band with terrible business acumen, the Brats recorded an outstanding (I believe their only) album in 1973 that wasn't released until like 1978 when they were already broken up. The lp has amazing guitar riffs and exudes a real love of rock and roll music. Great shit.


Lee Hazelwood- For Every Solution There's A Problem. Johnny Cash on acid? That's the best I can do to describe the unhinged vocals/story telling. I'm not sure if this is more novelty music than everyday stuff, but it definitely made me smile more than once.


The Runaways- s/t. Definitely a novelty act. At its core, the Runaways strike me as sleezy teenage girl exploitatation. That said there are some great to decent songs here (Cherry Bomb, RocknRoll, Thunder, Blackmail). And Lita Ford and Joan Jett together in the same band as kids. Great concept, if not always great results.


Suicide- First and second lp. I don't get these guys. Everything I read about them was that they were the first synth punk act or something, but there is almost no music on their stuff. Hardly any singing either. Minimalism beyond minimalism is what? Hype?


more to come....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Killer's Kiss covered Hanoi Rocks' "Don't Ever Leave Me"... they also did "Lightnin Bar Blues" though our version was better...i know, our stock with you guys might as well be pubicly traded for all it is worth now.

Anonymous said...

publicly

Dr. D said...

nice slip; i think have more pubic value right now than public. goddam hank paulson marked for death...

Anonymous said...

I think this was posted about 2-3 months ago. Why is it re-posted?