29 July 2009

Freddy Got Fingered

So, Sabean has decided the time is now (his contract is up this year, as is Bochy's) and the right side of the Giants' infield now includes a Stanford grad and a former batting champion. No word yet on what the lineup will look like (Winn leading off with Sanchez second?), but I did watch Amy Gutierrez ask Sanchez how he feels in three of her five questions to him. "Now that you are on a playoff contender, how does it feel?" "How does it feel to leave your Pirate teammates behind?" "How does it feel when I'm loving your taint?" Wasn't it The Creation who sang, "How Does it Feel to Feel?" I feel pretty darn good. After the abysmal road trip in which the Panda looked like he treated the All-Star Break as a special invitation to sample every Venezuelan barbecue joint he'd ever missed, the G-boys come back with a colossal eight runs in three games to nip/sweep the lowly Bucs. Cain goes nine scoreless innings and gets nothing. The man is a starting beast and should be well on his way to twenty, but alas, no runs in nine against the last place Pirates.

So will the new additions matter, or have the Giants mortgaged the future by trading two potential starters for the tantalizing dream of a wild card slot? I'm hoping the former and not worrying about the latter. I still think the Cubs and Cards are better overall teams, but why not roll the dice now, especially as Mr. Bamgardner is deeply ensconsed in a Tora Bora bunker. I like these moves (even if Sanchez ain't the power hitter everybody wants- that guy, aside from Holliday, just ain't available, given what the Gyros were willing to give up- is Adam Dunn really that big an upgrade? Maybe, but, well, I'm so confused...), and while I'm still not sure it's going to be enough offense or whether the closer-who-shall-not-be-named-on-general-decency-principles will hold or whether the no-name bullpen can sustain its over-its-head first half, I'm glad they made the move, even if I am gently holding my nose. Now let's see what happens when the red-hot world champs enter the corporate confines of Pac Bell. Somebody buy me a sausage.

2 comments:

Tuna said...

Not sure if Sanchez or Darko will work out. I feel fairly certain their W-L impact on the Giants will be slight at best. At some point you need people who can hit HRs. What I should do rather than bitch is some homework to find out which HR hitters are available now and will be after the season is over. On the bright side, we will not see much of Downs, Franzen, Ishikawa, Bowker and other pretenders for the rest of the season.

Assuming of course Freddy's 31 yo knee is ok.

sonny house said...

the knee is fine because I have special knowledge that it is. I am certain, just like every other jackass on the radio.

Why is everyone so certain about everything? I have less certainty with every year.