12 January 2010

Good Writing about Good Music


OK, so I’m seventeen years late to the party, but man, the Oxford American is one hell of a magazine. The guy at Issues pushed it on me and for once I bit, and I haven’t put the thing down or stopped listening to the double cd since. Apparently, four times a year this thing comes out and focuses on a different aspect of southern art. This time it’s soul music, and aside from a few clunkers (out of over fifty songs), the thing has me punishing the keyboard in soulseek searching for that Betty Lloyd album or that Henry Flynt material. The magazine includes essay-length pieces on each artist, and here is the shocking part: the writing is strong throughout. Hip lingo is nowhere to be found, and writers (or editors) have full command of the language. They also have a wonderfully loose definition of soul, as rockabilly, blues, gospel, country, folk and even rock artists make the cut. This will sit neatly on that end table in the music room for awhile, getting far more couch time than any of those old Mojos.

7 comments:

bruce said...

that club in the photo is ground zero, morgan freeman's joint down in clarksdale, ms. me and my wife usually get tickets to O.A.'s yearly party there, because she works at the ornamental metal museum, which takes out an ad, the preformer's are along the lines of ponderosa stomp but only three or four of them

Tuna said...

This is tempting, perhaps. How great is the Oxford American with respect to shedding light on new American writers? Is its content exclusively Southern?

I have complained for literally decades that there is no reliable source for discovering new writers. So excuse me for my multiple questions.

sonny house said...

no matter how many book review sites/sections have been cut, there are still more than I can keep up with. With all due respect, there are a zillion reliable sources for checking out new writers. You just need to look. I have way more new writers I'd like to check out that I don't have the time for. Dig a little.

sonny house said...

And yes, the OA only highlights southern writers, but I've never actually read a literary issue.

Tuna said...

Name 3 for me. I'm short on time and you have a "zillion" to choose from. Cmon!

sonny house said...

bookforum
themillions.com
the literary saloon

sonny house said...

you can also scroll down the left side of this site-

http://www.aldaily.com/