16 May 2010

Transformered by Eye Shadow


Transformer is a hoot. Arguably the gayest rock record released at the time, Lou went camp and then went pop, and then went camp again. Things start Castro enough with "Vicious, you hit me with a flower," and all the glitter kids sing along. Hell, even the middle-aged men can't resist that chorus. Everybody knows "Walk on the Wild Side," but "Satellite of Love" is the real star, a gorgeous epic that may be one of the best non-VU songs he's ever written. "Perfect Day' has probably been in a dozen movies by now, and eleven missed the irony. "Make Up" celebrates a lad's preening before a night on the New York town, one of several moments I find myself detached from. More than anything, the album is cheeky. It's a gay fuck you to the record industry and it managed to produce one bonafide FM staple, a song that ain't as good as the novel from which it takes its name. How come nobody reads Nelson Algren anymore? That dude had the goods. More than anything, Transformer is a good time, which you cannot say about very many (any?) Lou solo efforts. It's a smile, as Kevin Bacon said in Diner, before middle age comes around to ruin everything.

5 comments:

Tuna said...

Ronnie James Dio has passed at 67. Sucks. Rock on Ronnie. Rock on.

Tuna said...

I love Transformer. Sadly I've been cut off from my records since later April. Friday is move in day however. I can't wait to play my vinyl. I just can't wait!

Tuna said...

Sharks have appeared to put themselves into a tough spot. Thoughts, Sonny?

Tuna said...

I've got 2 nights left at my mother-in-law's before we can move into our place.

What exactly happens to women when they get old and become completely irrational and batty? Some people may call it batty. I call it being a pain in the ass.

2 more nights!

sonny house said...

why do they have to get old to get irrational and batty? I thought that was Webster's definition of women.