16 September 2010

Do the Chosen Few


Who doesn't love Aussie rock? From the big boys- Saints, Scientists, Beasts of Bourbon, Radio Birdman (overrated, in my very accurate opinion), to the perfect singles- Fun Things, Razar, and Victims- there is something wonderful about Oz dudes and their guitars. My current obsession from the land of exiled Rein is the Chosen Few, a band I've heard but never fully appreciated until recently. Funny how consciousness works, and the levels at which attention can be focused. I've enjoyed songs by these guys for years, whether it's the Murder Punk comps or a Soulseek download of Do the Manic. But I never really listened, and what I'm hearing these days is one of the great punk singles ever released. Granted, that first 45 is packed with six near-instant classics, which ain't your normal load for a single. But what a fucking 45 it is! I just paid 25 dollars for a Do the Manic lp from some Danish bastard- that's how fucking good these guys are. Sure, I could use mere adjectives (see: fucking), but what's the point? Description gives way to histrionic superlatives when time is short: this is one of the sloppiest, angriest, and most righteous documents of tuneful thug punk of that late 70s era they like to call the golden age. Get thee to ebay- I'm sure there's a Finnish asshole just dying to rip you off.

2 comments:

Tuna said...

eBay purchases from Scandis for Australian vinyl? My god, your record collecting is obsessive.

Seperately, I really want to go to Australia to see if it's as good in reity as it is in my head.

Anonymous said...

"Really Gonna Punch You Out" 2xLP on Hate Records: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=140455432933&Category=306&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2