17 October 2011

Hipster City- Portland, Ore

I took the fam with me for a 4-day biz trip to Oregon. I came away really impressed by the Beaver state. People are nice, the beer is AMAZING, and Portland is a fun town. In between business meetings, Liz and I hung out in the Pearl district with our girls. The neighborhood was crawling with foodie shops, brew pubs and 20- somethings with scary tattoos. I also hit an amazing small record store called 2nd Avenue Records filled with great vinyl. I bought a Bobby Fuller live lp and and a Them record. Both are excellent garage-y, guitar-driven things.

On the way out of town we passed a #Occupy Portland protest. I am really excited about this movement, so I hopped out of the car to take this pic. In the two minutes I was gone, a traffic cop almost ticketed me for being in a police zone and having expired license plates. Amazingly, though, he let us go. Such a cool cop tempered my stick-it-to-the-man ethos and made me like Portland even more.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

no Scott sightings?

Tuna said...

No. Maybe I was looking in the wrong places. The Pearl District strikes me as exactly the sort of trendy hipster hood he would hate. As you'd expect from the brains behind Early Man Sight!